Job Title: Plant Manager
Company: Dunmore International Corporation
Date: June 2021
Human Capital Consulting Partners has been retained by our client Dunmore International Corporation to identify candidates for a Plant Manager position at their Bristol, PA location.
Dunmore manufactures innovative technical films for Aerospace, Automotive, Commercial Graphics, Packaging applications. Dunmore has deep expertise in novel coatings, films and multi-layer laminates based on 14,000 unique chemistries and constructions, and significant experience in handling foils, plastics and fabrics.
A trusted Industry partner for over 50 years, Dunmore collaborates with customers in high growth markets to design, develop and manufacture a range of highly engineered value-added film solutions. Dunmore’s clients include several Fortune 500 companies across 25+ countries and is a Gold Level Supplier to one of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers. Dunmore’s mission is to delight its customers through technical innovation, high levels of service and open collaboration to solve difficult application problems.
This Plant Manager position, reporting to the VP-Operations, strategically leads and delivers the goals of the business through production output of the plant with the highest safety and quality standards. The position ensures the alignment and collaboration of all departments, promotes and holds the team accountable for operating with a continuous improvement mindset, develops metrics and KPIs for the facility to drive improvement in performance, and coordinates with engineering to ensure machine uptime.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports continuous improvement initiatives by evaluating processes and analyzing data to help identify projects. Acts as a change agent to institute new processes or improve existing processes. Works closely with Dunmore’s Lean expert on identified opportunities, sponsoring projects, resourcing projects with the appropriate Operations personnel and ensuring follow through on actions and sustaining the improvements.
- Leads productivity of the operations team by managing headcount and asset staffing. Builds a flexible cross-functional team to minimize disruptions to critical assets. Coordinates equipment downtime with maintenance to facilitate effective preventive maintenance and equipment upgrades. Initiates projects to increase machine uptime and improve OEE. Manages On-Time & In-Full plus other KPIs for the facility. Looks for bottlenecks and logistics obstacles and develops solutions to eliminate or reduce.
- Develops the team by recruiting, motivating, advising, coaching, training, and as needed, disciplining and terminating associates. Builds a team which is technically and philosophically aligned with organizational objectives; and by ensuring related objectives are incorporated throughout facility. Ensures learning and development of the team. Leads by example to instill a sense of urgency and promote a highly engaged team.
- Contributes to company profitability by preparing the headcount plans and manufacturing budgets. Minimizes scrap and waste and maximizes equipment utilization participating in Annual Strategic Planning, identifying long-term and short-range issues and goals. Expected to lead key strategic projects in support of company growth.
- Directs efficient operations by working closely with Planning, Customer Service, Sales and R&D to help set priorities for loading assets. Works with Operations Management team to ensure job readiness and awareness of job standards. Instills the expectation of process discipline and supports effective change management and corrective action when required.
- Supports overall quality of products manufactured at the facility by coordinating with the Quality Department to address complaints and product returns. Travels to customer and/or supplier sites to help address material conformance issues. Measures and manages Operations quality performance including scrap, product yields and production variance. Leads Production Managers to facilitate timely and effective corrective actions.
- Provides guidance and technical expertise by advising, training, and coaching employees on new products, concepts, employee relations and projects. Supports Sales & Marketing in their efforts to bring new business to Dunmore including visiting customers to better understand their product requirements. Supports an effective Development process by providing guidance to Operations, R&D, Engineering & Sales in the early stages of new products.
- Creates a safe work environment by adopting and promoting rules that meet regulatory requirements and the safety of workers; and by reinforcing positive safety actions while eliminating unsafe acts/programs; and by instilling respect within and among workforce. Lead sponsor of the facility Safety Committee coordinating with the EH&S Manager to set the direction for the committee. Oversees associate participation in safety programs and works with managers to drive increased participation. Leads effective incident and accident investigations.
- Enhances customer satisfaction with a hands-on approach ensuring customer visits and issues are prioritized at the facility. Leads specific customer projects, moving from pilot to production; providing support as subject matter expert, assisting in root cause analysis and offering alternative solutions; by optimizing processing to reduce cost to manufacture; and hosting customers during on-site visits and audits.
- Supports regulatory compliance of the facility by ensuring policies and procedures regarding hazardous waste collection and disposal and air permit requirements are being followed. Works closely with the EH&S Manager to keep the company in full compliance with all permits and/or regulations.
Essential Qualifications & Competencies
- Education/experience – Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering or Technical discipline with 8 plus years of progressive experience in a Plant Management role with 5 plus years of supervisory experience. Specialize in manufacturing processes in related business field, statistical analysis, process and product development; broad knowledge of high-tech industry, operations management. Proven success meeting/exceeding performance expectations. Advocate and facilitator of continuous improvement methods; diverse operational and progressive roles.
- Continuous improvement background – experience implementing/leading lean or continuous improvement programs/initiatives with demonstrated success through waste elimination, process improvement, and cost reduction. Six Sigma Certification helpful.
- Demonstrated ability in – exceptional leadership skills, analytical thinking, troubleshooting, change management, problem solving, project management, safety initiatives, and effective communication skills. Successful history of developing a team.
- Computer literacy – strong Microsoft Office; ability to evaluate data utilizing various software.
- Competencies – integrity; customer focus; quality focus; priority setting; business acumen; strategic focus; results oriented; instilling vision; leadership; team building and development; influencing/persuading.