Job Title: Plant Manager
Date: August 2021
Human Capital Consulting Partners has been retained by our manufacturing client located in Delaware County, PA to identify candidates for a Plant Manager position.
Reporting to the Owner, the Plant Manager strategically leads and delivers the goals of the business through production output of the plant with the highest safety and quality standards. The position ensures the alignment and collaboration of all departments; promotes and holds the team accountable for operating with a continuous improvement mindset; and develops metrics, SOPs, and KPIs for the facility to drive improvement in performance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates a safe work environment by adopting and promoting rules that meet regulatory requirements and the safety of workers, reinforcing positive safety actions while eliminating unsafe acts/programs, and instilling respect within and among the workforce. This position is the lead sponsor of the facility’s safety committee and will set the direction for the committee. Oversees associate participation in safety programs and works with managers to drive increased participation. Leads effective incident and accident investigations.
- Leads productivity of the manufacturing operations by managing headcount and staffing levels. Builds a flexible cross-functional team to minimize disruptions to critical assets, coordinates equipment downtime with maintenance to facilitate effective preventive maintenance and equipment upgrades, looks for bottlenecks and logistics obstacles and develops solutions to eliminate or reduce downtime.
- Develops the team by recruiting, motivating, advising, coaching, training, and as needed, disciplining and terminating associates. Builds a team which is technically and philosophically aligned with the company’s Core Values and ensures that related objectives are incorporated throughout the facility. Ensures learning and development of the team. Leads by example to instill a sense of urgency and promote a highly engaged team.
- Contributes to company profitability preparing the headcount plans and manufacturing budgets. Minimizes waste and maximizes equipment utilization.
- Directs efficient operations by working closely with Sales, Purchasing and Product Development to help set priorities for the plant. Works with the Manufacturing team to ensure job readiness and awareness of job standards. Instills the expectation of process discipline and supports effective change management and corrective action when required.
- Provides guidance and technical expertise by advising, training, and coaching employees on new products, concepts, employee relations and projects. Supports Sales and Product Development in their efforts to bring new business including visiting customers to better understand their product requirements.
- Enhances customer satisfaction with a hands-on approach ensuring customer visits and issues are prioritized at the facility. Leads specific customer projects, moving from pilot to production; providing support as subject matter expert, assisting in root cause analysis and offering alternative solutions; by optimizing processing to reduce cost to manufacture; and hosting customers during on-site visits and audits.
- Supports regulatory compliance of the facility by ensuring policies and procedures regarding hazardous waste collection and disposal and air permit requirements are being followed. Works to keep the company in full compliance with all permits and/or regulations.
Essential Qualifications & Competencies
- Education/experience – Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering or Technical discipline with 10 plus years progressive experience in a Plant Management role with 5 plus years of supervisory experience.
- Continuous improvement background – experience implementing/leading lean or continuous improvement programs/initiatives with demonstrated success through waste elimination, process improvement, and cost reduction. Six Sigma Certification helpful.
- Demonstrated ability in – exceptional leadership skills, analytical thinking, troubleshooting, change management, problem solving, project management, safety initiatives, budget management and effective communication skills (writing, speaking and active listening). Successful history of developing a team.
- Computer literacy – strong Microsoft Office skills; ability to evaluate data utilizing various software. Plant computer systems are a mix of Windows and Macs, iPads etc.
- Competencies – integrity; customer focus; quality focus; priority setting; business acumen; strategic focus; results oriented; instilling vision; leadership; team building and development; influencing/persuading.
Core Values of the Company:
- Promote safety: No bull… It’s priority number one!
- Delight the Customer: Their needs are our focus.
- Maintain Integrity: Our word is our bond.
- Execute Teamwork: The best solutions come from working together.
- Practice Good Karma: Pay it forward.
Interested candidates should contact Jim Geier, President and CEO, Human Capital Consulting Partners, at firstname.lastname@example.org.